Friday, April 29, 2011

In A Galaxy ... Right Near Here







I am a baby of the 60's, a child of the 70's, and a teen of the 80's.  When I stop and think about all of the innovations to everyday living that have happened in my life, it stops me in my tracks.  Think about that with my parents having been born in the 1930s and the 1940s, what amazing things have happened in their lifetime! 
When I was a senior in high school in 1986, my government teacher was on the short list for being the first teacher in space.  It was devastating to all when the Challenger exploded.  It was one of those "I remember exactly what I was doing" moments of my life.  Our business teacher had rolled the TV into our classroom so we could all watch the launch.  Stunned, absolutely stunned.  I can still see it as clearly as if it had happened a few minutes ago instead of the 25 years that has lapsed.
Anyway, that doesn't have too much to do with this post except for the outer space part.  I wanted to show you some of Chris's marbles (yes, had to shake them loose from his head this morning, jk :0), and as the shuttle will launch today, I thought this was a great opportunity to show you his Dichroic "galaxy" marbles!  When people look at them, they always comment that it looks like you could step into outer space!  I agree, I could spend hours turning them round and round.




2 comments:

somethingunique said...

Thsoe are beautiful & yes i do remember exactly what i was doing that horrible day, i'll never forget the announcer talking us through the launch right after it expoded saying "there seems to have been a major malfunction" i was like you think? anyway i think those marbles would look cool wire wrapped. ttfn L:)

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree! I have wrapped them before, and it was gorgeous! News announcers have a duh tendency don't they! Happy Weekend Lana!

Popular Posts