Friday, July 27, 2012

Bead Soup Reveal Day!!!!

Welcome to the Bead Soup Blog Party!  Thank YOU to Lori Anderson, creator and hostess of the BSBP and congrats on her upcoming Bead Soup book!

My partner this time around is Shirley Moore, (Beads and Bread this link will take you to her blog and the soup mix I sent her).  Shirley does beautiful seed beading so when I mixed her soup, I thinned my seed bead stash a tiny bit by sending her packages of seed beads in a variety of sizes to match the focal bead Chris made for her.

This is what she sent to me (I told her I was a fearless beader, and she did give me a challenge!).
 Loads of beautiful pearls, mother of pearl bead frames (two styles), Chinese crystal, copper toggle.
Beaded pieces handmade by Shirley.  I give Shirley HUGE kudos for making a Cellini Spiral using the long Magatamas.  I love those beads but I absolutely CAN NOT work with them.  They are the one seed bead that is not my friend.  I can't seem to wrap my mind around how they are supposed to lay in order to have them be all the same.  No matter how many times I try, I can not make it work.  Defeat, thy name is Magatama.

So when I received my soup, I was stumped.  The beads were all very lovely, but how do I make them work with the beautiful focals Shirley made for me.  What they really reminded me of were plants.  So the first thing I did was stitch the two pieces into one piece and added embellishments.
Cool huh?!  I added some coordinating seed beads at the base to match the ones where I joined the sections and then embellished the top with 2.5 mm olivine Swarovski crystals and size 15 seed beads.  But then the "NOW WHATS" set in.  I tried to figure out how to make this into jewelry.  I. really. did.  Fail.  Chris suggested I needed a pot for my plant.  So originally I thought a tiny terracotta pot would be the answer.  We found tiny wooden ones at Hobby Lobby in a plain pine type wood.  So I colored it with a brown Sharpie marker and went to town beading it using Delica beads in peyote stitch.
After starting over several times (and a few bad words), I battled through with the help of the internet on doing increase and decrease in peyote so I could accommodate the gradual slope up the sides and the lip of the pot.  It turned out pretty well, not perfect, but pretty well.  Thankfully I was able to photograph the good side! It turned out pretty form fitting, so that once I started up the rim, I could not remove the pot without a fight.  I even beaded the bottom of the pot which helped pull the bottom stitches to curl around the base a bit better.  We added modeling clay to the pot and a wooden dowel to support the plant.  Originally we wanted to model it after Audrey 2 from "Little Shop of Horrors" (Chris played Seymore in our college production of the play).

The final presentation:
Not jewelry, bead SCULPTURE!  Inspired by "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (by J.K. Rowling), Neville gets a Mimbulus Mimbletonia plant which spews Stinksap all over when it is prodded.  I did a search and found this photo of a Mimbulus Mimbletonia on the Harry Potter Wiki site:
Now having not looked at this picture until I was writing this post, I would say I did a pretty good job!  I have been listening to the Harry Potter audiobook this week and when I heard Neville talk about his plant, I thought that would be a good name for my sculpture.  I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and am rather sad that it has ended.
Here are some close up details of my MiMi (for short):

MiMi stands 3" tall and is about 2" wide.  Chris made the lampwork eyeball pods and we epoxied them to steel wire.  I made some creeper tendril/tentacles with colored Parawire, crystals and some of my stash of MyElements funky accent beads.  The eyeball pods were made on the end of a fine wire mandrel similar to making a beaded headpin.

Now the rules of the BSBP state that you have to use the focal and the clasp of the soup mix.  Since MiMi didn't need a clasp, I put together a bracelet with the gorgeous blister pearls, tiger's eye, and Chinese crystal so that I could use my clasp.  Since it was a double strand clasp, I added a length of chain also.
Absolutely fabulous!  Those pearls are so pretty, I wish I had several strands more!

So now that you have seen my BSBP project, here are the rest of the blogs to hop around to:
                                             Hostess, Lori Anderson, PrettyThingsBlog.com

Alice Craddick,  Alice's Beads and Baubles
Alicia Marinache,  All The Pretty Things
Amanda Tibbetts,  Amanda Made
Amber Dawn Goldish, Inventive Soul
Annita Wilson,  AW Jewelry
Beti Horvath, Stringing Fool
Birgitta Lejonklou,  Create With Spirit   
Candida Castleberry,    Spinning Spun Sugar
Carolyn Lawson, Carolyn's Creations
Cassie Donlen, Glass Beadle
Cheryl McCloud,  One Thing Leads to Another
Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe
Christina Hickman, Vintage Treasures Jewelry
Christine Hendrickson,  Clamworks
Cilla Watkins, Tell Your Girlfriends
Cindy Wilson, Mommy's Dream
Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio
Cory Celaya, Art With Moxie
Cory Tompkins, Tealwater Designs
Cris Peacock, Cris' Page
Cynthia Deis, Shiny Little Things
Cynthia Machata, Antiquity Travelers
Cynthia Wainscott, Exotic Peru
Dana Hickey, Magpie Approved
Denielle Hagerman, Some Beads and Other Things
Diane Valasek, Dragonfly Close
Doris Stumpf, Glaszwerg
Dyanne Everett-Cantrell, Dee-Liteful Jewelry Creations
Elaine Robitaille, Too Aquarius
Eleanor Burian-Mohr, The Charmed Life
Enikö Fabian, Perl-eni
Erin Prais-Hintz, Treasures Found
Heather Davis, Blissful Garden Beads
Hilary Frye, FryeStyle
Inge von Roos, Inge's Blog
Jami Shipp, Celebrating Life
Jayne Capps, Mama's Got to Doodle
Jennifer Cameron, Glass Addictions
Jennifer Pottner, Rock Candy Beads
Jennifer VanBenschoten,  Jewelry, Art and Life
Jenny Davies-Reazor, Jenny Davies-Reazor
Jenny Vidberg, Shyme Design
Jessica Dickens, My Jewelry, My Life, Me
Jessica Klaaren, Beadful-Things by Jessica
Joan Williams, Lilruby Jewelry
Judith Johnston, Judith Johnston
Judy Riggs, Rigglettes
Judy Turner, Silver Rains
Julie Anne Leggett, The Peaceful Bead
K Hutchinson, Jumbled Hutch
Karen Meador, Dreamcatcher Ranch
Karyn Bonfiglio, Plus Size Bangles
Katherine Gale, Terra Beadworks
Kathleen Lange Klik, Modern Nature Studio
Katja Benevol Gabrijelcic, Slovonske Technobe
Kelli Jacobson, Creative Moon
Kelly Ramstack, Adventures with Kelly
Keri Lee Sereika, Pink Lemonade
Kim Bender-Hora, KimmyKat
Kirsi Luostarinen, Kirsi Luo Korut
Kitty Bozzini, Kitty Lampwork
Laura Demoya, The Bead Therapist
Laurie Hanna, Laurie's Jewelbox
Leah Curtis, Beady Eyed Bunny
Lesley Watt, The Gossiping Goddess
Linda Inhelder, Must-Haves Jewelry
Lisa Liddy, Metal Me This
Mallory Hoffman, For the Love of Beads
Marge Beebe, Rock Creek Creations
Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things
Marion Simmons, Shade Tree Studio
Marla Gibson, Spice Box Design
Marta Weaver, Marta Weaver Jewelry
Marti Conrad, Marti C's Clay Blog
Maryse Fritzsch-Thillens, GlassBeadArt, Lampwork Beads
Melanie Brooks, Earthenwood Studio
Michelle Hardy, Firefly Visions
Mikala Coates, Maybe Just Perhaps
Mowse Doyle, HoCArt
Nancy Boylan, Snazzy Doodle Designs
Nancy Peterson, Beading From the Heart
Nicole Rennell, Nicole Rennell Designs
Niki Meiners, 365 Days of Craft
Niky Sayers, Silver Nik Nats
Norma Turvey, Moonlit Fantaseas
Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs
Pamela Gangler, She Always Loved Pink
Perri Jackson, Shaktipaj Designs
Raida Disbrow, Havana Beads
Renetha Stanziano, Lamplight Crafts
Shannon Hicks, Falling Into the Sky
Shannon LeVart, Miss Fickle Media
Sharon Driscoll, Right Turn Art Werks
Shelley Graham Turner, Fabric of My Life
Sherri Stokey, Knot Just Macrame
My Partner~Shirley Moore, Beads and Bread
Skylar Bre'z, Brising Beads
Stacie Florer, Soul to Substance
Stacie Stamper, Park Avenue
Stacy Alderson, Iridal's Attic
You are here! Stephanie Haussler, Pixybug Designs
Stephanie Stamper, Rainy Day Designs
Suzette Bentley, Ellie's Bijoux
Tammy Jones, Jewelry Making Daily
Tanty Sri Hartanti, TJewellicious by Tanti
Terry Matuszyk, Pink Chapeau

Vonna Maslanka, Just Vonna
Thanks for visiting, I hope you will stop by again!

66 comments:

Jean A. Wells said...

Wow! You are amazing. That is so cute. And the bracelet is beautiful. I love the pearls and the copper together. Great job!

Shirley said...

Ok, I have to borrow an English term...I am gobsmacked! That is so cool, I just can't believe it! I love Little Shop of Horrors, and Harry Potter! You are right, you are the fearless queen, and I bow to your magnificence! The skill and imagination between you two is boundless. And then to top it off with that cool bracelet! Hugh standing applause to you both!!!

Penney said...

I love the plant! So cute........ I love the chain in the bracelet!

Anonymous said...

Your flower pot is really cute and creative! Love that bracelet too!!! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Seriously Love the cute little guy and the bracelet is awesome also LOL Love and hugs Tanya

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Love your soup and the beads Shirley made! The flower pot and bead sculpture are really amazing and the copper/pearl bracelet is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Fabulous piece, Stephanie - so very creative. Hats off to you:)

Snazzy Doodle Designs said...

Your potted plant is so fun and cute! Great idea! And the bracelet is wonderful too!

A Polymer Penchant said...

I think you took an inspired turn with your little sculpture. I love that the beads that are your nemesis make the seeming smile of the piece. excellent

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Well, I flat out love what you did! What else to say except--um...send it to me??? love, love, love!!!

jean yates!

Unknown said...

More proof beadweavers are insane ;D

Kidding ! I love the cactus, through XD

Elaine said...

The bracelet is cool but the sculpture is just fabulous! Love it! The eyball and the beadwork.... just perfect!

Anonymous said...

OH, wow, your little plant is so cute! and so original!!! Love it!!! The bracelet is beautiful, too, but I think MiMi steals the show!!!

Linda Younkman said...

Great beadwork. Love the Celini Spiral.

Unknown said...

Oh my, that is so much fun. I would never think of that but you are definitely up for a creative award of some sort!
Love Mimi! Nice bracelet too.

Charis Designs said...

Talk about thinking out of the box! Love the creativity with MiMi- proof that beads lend themselves to all sorts of ventures. The bracelet is gorgeous.

CraftyHope said...

What a really neat idea to make a sculpture with those two focals!! I love the Harry Potter reference as I'm a big fan also. Your piece definitely brings a smile to my face. :D

WindDancerStudios said...

MiMi is just awesome! <3 the little guy!! And the bracelet aint too shabby either!

JJ Jacobs said...

Your designs are amazing -- good job!

bailaora said...

Amazing sculpture!

Cornerstoregoddess said...

I'm in loooooooooooooooooove! Awesome sculpture!

la mar de bonita said...

What a creative idea! ;0))) Mimi is sooooooo cute!

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

What a fantastic beaded sculpture! And, the bracelet is stunning!

Jenny said...

The soup you rec'd was lovely - that beadwork piece is... WOW! But I can see where I would have been challenged with it.. Your result is fun and cute! Props to you! Hey - nice bracelet too!

Unknown said...

your plant is hilarious! now hand over that bracelet(plz)

Bookbug said...

Mimbulus Mimbletonia - - I was not expecting that! Very interesting...

one-eared pig said...

OK, that is just awesome!

Heidi Post said...

LMAO that MiMi cracks me up! So clever and inventive. Good for you for going out of the box that way :) And you're right, she didn't need a clasp - well done on the more traditional bracelet too. Excellent job!

Lori Jean said...

I love the sculpture!!! SO CUTE. and the bracelet is beautiful!

Unknown said...

LOVE!!!
Simply awesome!!
That bracelet too!

ChristinaMarieH said...

MiMi has to be the most creative beadwork I have ever see in my life! I am almost at the end of list for the blog hop but I am going to say if there was a top prize for creativity, you would get it!

The Jewelry Larder said...

The Mimbulus Mimbletonia is impressive. I think J K Rowling will be suitably impressed.

Beti Horvath said...

Fantastic (literally) use of your soup. I love your sculpture, and I think if you can string the plant on a cord, I can find people who will wear it! Lovely bracelet, too!

Vivi Magoo said...

Wow! I love it! You took bead soup ingredients and made a delicious layer cake out of them! How fabulous! A true artist who thinks outside the box!

Unknown said...

The little sculpture is adorable, what a great way to use those beads. The pearl bracelet is lovely, very nice work!

Sandra said...

"Feed me, Seymour, feed me!"

I laughed so hard when I saw what you created, you totally rock. I love those little eyeball lampwork beads too! <3

Bracelet? What bracelet. There was a bracelet too? Sorry, I couldn't take my eyes off MiMi. *laughs*

Mmh, nice earthy colors and copper, always a good combination.

KvH said...

I love your sculpture. That's something really special... wonderful design..

Lisa Chapman said...

OMG! Your plant is too cool! So creative!

Unknown said...

You clever, clever lady!!!
I love that you went with something other than jewelry and the end result is so creative!

The bracelet is beautiful also!

Nice to meet you and happy blog hopping!
Shannon

Perl - Eni said...

Wow! You are amazing. That is so cute.
I love them all!

Unknown said...

Great items to work with. I really like what you did. The cactus guy is so cool and I love the bracelet. Really nice job!

Pretty Things said...

I LOVE how you went outside the box in a big way! Refreshing and joyful! I love the spiral, too -- you did a great job with that. Thank you so much for participating!

gite said...

with the first foto I thought: "Wow, PeyoteCellini with long Magatamas, wow." I agree with your point of view. All the tries...... nothing worked. And now this. Great!
And with your great beautiful beading work it is now amazing, makes me smile.
Best regards Birgit

Anonymous said...

Mimbulus made me giggle. That would be perfect to sit on your kitchen windowsill...a great day brightener when you awaken!

Rachel said...

How delightful! Thank you for sharing your talents with the world! =)

Shai Williams said...

Wow! Your plant puts a smile on my face and the colors of that bracelet are truly dreamy.

jennifers jewels and junk said...

fun options here. love that you did something different. very cool

LiliKrist said...

The sculpture is so cute =D

Nancy said...

How wonderfully creative you are! I love your MiMi! The bracelet is just perfect as well! Great job.

Unknown said...

OMG! This is really the most creativ work I saw during the blog hopping!!! Your hommage to Harry Potter is stunning! If it would be possible you will get the award for the most creative idea!! :-) Hugs Doris

LeeLu Creations said...

Beautiful bracelet

Bobbie said...

I am in awe of your imagination! The sculpture is so flipping cute! And the bracelet is lovely, too.

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Stephanie,
I love MiMi it is so cute in a oddly weird way ;-)you did a fantastic job on it. Your bracelet is very pretty too.
Therese

Stacy said...

Fantastic! I love MiMi, such an original idea. The bracelet is gorgeous too.

Amy's said...

That plant is just AMAZING!Like the bracelet too

Kumi Fisher said...

I want one of those bead sculpture!! That is just awesome! The bracelet is gorgeous too. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Oh your MiMi plant is just so cute and imaginative! I do like the bracelet though!

Unknown said...

How cool to make that gorgeous little treasure! I know Shirley loves it!

Valerie said...

Good job, former partner! How creative! You did a great job.....I would've been stumped for certain. It's nice to see something besides jewelry!
Valerie

Cheryl said...

WOW! What a great selection. Jewelry, sculpture just everything! Love it all!

Lupe Meter said...

Awesome job with your bead soup! So nice to see a beaded sculpture!! The beaded creations that you received are awesome and the those eyeballs are fabulous! Nice work!

TJewellicious by tanti said...

I love your plant..! Creative design..! So cool..! :)

Becky Pancake said...

Very creative. Great job.

Giorgia Rossini said...

very creative, so original!
the plant is too cute!
ciao dall'Italia

moonsafari said...

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my post! Your creature is so much fun! :))) Love it, very original! Thank you for making me smile! :) And of course I love the bracelet too but Mimi stole the show!

Amber said...

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful list of other bloggers into beading! I've enjoyed my day just learning and seeing..now for pintrest pinning!! Thank you again!

Popular Posts