Friday, February 1, 2008

Pay It Forward

There are a great deal of places talking about "spreading the love", or "paying it forward", and I even saw yesterday "Pray It Forward". The concept is certainly not a new one, just new "tag" phrases to promote it. I am a big believer in the pay it forward concept. Several years ago I read the book "5 People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom, and when I picked it up I thought it would be about the 5 people who were the most important in your life that you got to see again in heaven. I was wrong. It was about five people you briefly touch in life, but how those tiny moments can change someone else's life forever. I definitely recommend the book, easy read and wonderfully moving story. Anyway, that is the topic I want to discuss today. I volunteer for many things, helping at school, church, and with Girl Scouts. People know that if they ask me to help, I will more often than not help. I think about growing up poor, and how the small things people did to help us, made a difference in my life. Also, I had 3 wonderful teachers in my life, that went out of their way to make me feel special when I so often felt invisible or bad about things happening in my life at the time. In college, I wrote to those teachers to thank them for the difference they made in my life. Our friend Carla (from beads and botanicals) blogged this week about her support of the Hastings Museum, and the Border Collie rescue society. I really am amazed at all the other things she donates too also, cancer benefits, Girl Scouts, post prom parties, etc. So yesterday, I was moved to also contact the Hastings Museum to donate to the silent auction that helps support programs and displays at the Museum. Mina absolutely loves to go to the museum, and I love the gift shop and the movie theater, and that they work so hard to bring in the traveling exhibits to bring new info and ideas to families and kids. It is a wonderful resource and it was wonderful to get an email back from the museum, telling us they had visited our blog and love our stuff, and we could donate anything we wanted. What a wonderful compliment! So what can you support today? You never know what difference you might make in someone else's world.

2 comments:

Angie Leech said...

I think there are not enough people who look at their lives and see how blessed they are -- and out of that blessing are compelled to donate their time, their resources, their creativity, their prayer -- whatever they have to give -- to help others and further worthy causes. The Gaither Vocal band recorded a song called, "Give it Away". The song begins, "If you want more happy than your heart can hold, if you want to stand taller, if the truth were told, take whatever you have and give it away. If you want less lonely and a lot more fun and deep satisfaction when the day is done, throw your heart wide open and give it away." That just kinda sums it up -- we truly are blessed MORE when we give than when we selfishly keep everthing to ourselves! The very best thing we have to give is OURSELVES - and the things that are part of this world only because God created us to contribute them. Isn't it interesting how God moves in the hearts of people in similar ways at the same time? All this week I've been pondering on designing a bracelet that the Pregnancy Service Center (where I am a volunteer mentor) can sell as a fundraiser for the ultrasound equipment and staff person we are raising funds for - and giving my time to make them. (Of course this is all still in my mental creation stage -- they would have to approve it and want to do it!)

Thanks for your contributions of your time, talent, and uniqueness to make the world a better place -- one moment at a time!

PS - I haven't posted in my own blog for ages -- maybe I should carry this thread on over there and spread the message of giving it away even further!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great theme to spread around! Look at how many people read our blogs, and even if it only plants the seed in them, God will make that seed flourish into something beautiful. I have seen that so many times in the past year, with the more I give of myself, the more I get in return through happiness and unexpected blessings! Thanks for sharing, and just think we could be trend setters!

Popular Posts