Saturday, October 8, 2011

The One Bead....

Howdy everybody!  Guest Blogger Chris here, reporting on how this whole Pixybug jewelry, beads, torching, design thing got started.  It all started with Stephanie receiving one bead.  Yep, only one little lonely bead.  And I share responcibility for the whole thing because the darling daughter and I gave it to her for her birthday.

Back in the day Carla had a brick and mortar store in Hastings named coincidentally Beads and Botanicals.  It was approaching Steph's birthday and I had no clue as to what we should get her.  Mina and I wandered into Carla's shop, searching for something.  I knew nothing about beading so making her something was out of the question.  Looking back, Carla would have set us up with everything we would have needed, but we did not know that.  So after browsing awhile, we happened upon THE BEAD.  The bead talked to me and said "BUY ME!"  So I did.  The bead reminded me of the Tree of Gondor from the Lord of the Rings books.  The first Lord of the Rings movie was coming out soon and being fans of the books, we were excited about the movie. It was a perfect gift for Steph.  And since one bead a necklace does not make, Steph had to take her One Bead back into Carla's and make something with it.  It went through a couple of designs before it got settled in.  And here the One Bead  is...


  As I sit here and write this, the more I come to realize that single one bead is like the One Ring in LotR.

With apologies to Tolkien....

     One Bead to rule them all, One Bead to find them,
     One Bead to bring them home and in the studio bind them....

Now, ten years later, Stephanie has a studio full of beads to play with and mad skills to create beautiful things with.  I make beads with my torch and a bit of jewelry too.  That One Bead is relegated to her jewelry box, with its' sparkly friends.  It doesn't get out much anymore, sort of like the One Ring when it is hidden.  But the One Bead is not forgotten because it started all this.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I am thankful for your family and the friendships we share. It has been such a blessing in my life to watch Pixybug Designs begin and grow. Very inspiring! :)

Popular Posts